Definitions of a Watch Idiot Savant
Posted by LStone on June 03, 1998 at 23:38:47:
- self trained to sleep in 5 positions with wearing his/her COSC certified chronometer in bed.
- opens the back of a new Patek on the first day of acquisition and hand winds the rotor in tighten up the main spring.
- takes the 200 meter water proof Seadweller off from the wrist and puts it into the deepest pocket before walking into a storm without any rain gear.
- waits every 60 minute in front of a radio controlled clock all weekend in order to adjust all his/her 14 mechanical watches to the accuracy within -2/+2 seconds per 24 hours.
- spends $500 plus on polish equipment and materials and works 20 hours in order to refinish a $200 worth SS bracelet.
- has a annual budget of $500 on the purchase of a new watch and posts the question on the Timezone forum “which one is better? a Rolex or a TAG?”
- wears a triple date chronograph with moon phase everyday, but cannot even tell time from the basic hour and minute hands on the dial without a pair of reading glasses.
- memorizes all serial numbers of the Rolex watches made in the past 60 years but keeps forgetting the wedding anniversary.
Posted by Paul Schliesser on June 04, 1998 at 00:18:38:
- A Watch Idiot Savant is someone who can be so distracted by his watch, that he fails to note the time.
Posted by Thomas Douqué on June 04, 1998 at 04:03:18:
- sends his watch to the Bahamas to “unwind”
Posted by Paul D. on June 04, 1998 at 05:22:39:
- A WIS is someone who bases his vacation destination on the water resistance rating of his watch.
Posted by scott on June 04, 1998 at 06:38:21:
- starts winding up his collection of manual wind watches and finishes the last one just as the power reserve on the first one runs out – and then starts all over again.
Posted by BrandonS on June 04, 1998 at 06:47:32:
- …politely asks his wife and daughter to be quiet and turns off all noisy appliances so he can listen to the roter on his new Valjoux-equipped Hamilton Chrono spin!
Posted by Kent on June 04, 1998 at 07:17:35:
- …ten minutes after meeting someone for the first time, can tell you what kind of watch the person was wearing, but can’t remember their name. 😉
Posted by RG on June 04, 1998 at 07:46:44:
- A WIS is one who can tell you the start up date of most Swiss watch companies but cannot remember his anniversary or his kids birthdays.
- Can tell you the name, address and phone number of all the high-end watch stores in his home town, but cannot remember the same info re. a relatives residence.
- Remembers to wind all his watches, but forgets to take out the garbage on garbage pick-up day.
- Can recall every watch purchase and what he was doing at that time but cannot remember the dinner party he and his significant other are invited to that weekend.
And the list goes on.
Posted by Mike Breinin on June 04, 1998 at 08:30:28:
- meets Cindy Crawford and notices her “my choice” Constellation long before her chest;
- Has a watch collection that equals the cost of a new 911 but drives a GEO Metro;
- Convinces his wife to put off having that next kid so he can get a Patek 5035
Posted by Mike Breinin on June 04, 1998 at 09:15:55:
- Plans a vacation strictly around watch shopping;
- Has the number of the Naval Observatory Master Clock on speed-dial, or worse memorizes it;
- Buys magazines only for the watch ads, reads none of the articles;
- Is on a first name basis with all the salespeople in the local watch stores;
- Spends more time gazing at and fondling his new watch than he does his significant other;
- Thinks about watches, not baseball, during coitus.
- Has nightmares about Rolex world domination . . .
Posted by Mario Picanco on June 04, 1998 at 09:38:22:
- A Watch Idiot Savant is someone who spend a large fortune on watches to have a small fortune on watches.
Posted by Tempus Fugit on June 04, 1998 at 10:11:31:
- someone who remembers what watch their proctologist was wearing..!!
Posted by Steve L on June 04, 1998 at 13:52:24:
- One who considers safe sex putting their watch in a Scatola del Tempo box!
Posted by Edward on June 04, 1998 at 14:40:55:
- A watch idiot savant is a person who cannot deal with anyone whose hands don’t point to 10 and 2.
Posted by Randy Cole on June 04, 1998 at 18:27:21:
- Wakes up in the emergency room and asks the nurse if his watch was scratched.
- Takes off his watch before sex.
- Knows the two-letter Internet country code for Switzerland.
- Gets his watches serviced more often than he gets his cars serviced.
- Thinks that Ferraris are made by Girard-Perregaux and wonders why Porsches are made by so many different companies.
- Knows how to set every chronograph ever made but has no idea how to make his VCR display anything besides 12:00.
- Owns more watches than the guy selling fake Rolexes on 42nd Street.
- Thinks that Gilbert and Schugart wrote “HMS Pinafore”.
- Actually looks forward to having strangers ask him for the time.
- Buys a Tag-Heuer so his 3-year-old can learn to tell time.
- Owns $15K worth of watches and wakes up to a $15 Sony digital alarm clock.
Posted by Mark Hanson on June 04, 1998 at 18:42:43:
- first thinks of movements, not modems, when hearing the number 28,800.
Posted by Jaeger on June 04, 1998 at 14:56:00:
- someone who believes Roman numeral 4 is written “IIII”